ebXML Metamodel Example
The metamodel example was developed by Jim Clark of Edifecs,
Bob Haugen of Logistical Software, from a base model developed by
Sig Handelman of IBM and of the Manufacturing and Materials Management
Core Components Industry Domain.
The ebxml Metamodel example is avaialable in two forms:
- Rational Rose Model [zip] - Download the zipped Rational Rose Model and view using
Rational Rose. Rational Rose can be obtained from
Rational website along with a temporary license.
- On-line Tour - View the model using a web browser.
The metamodel example is availble on-line. You
need a web browser that is Java enabled (to make use of the UML model browser).
The ebXML metamodel is highly layered, with a small
number of elements in each layer. The layers are:
- The Business Operations Map (BOM) metamodel -
the partitioning of business processes into business areas
and business categories.
- The Business Requirements View (BRV) metamodel -
the view of a business process model that captures the
requirements of a business collaboration protocol.
- The Business Operational View (BOV) metamodel -
the view of a business process model that specifies the
contract formation process for various types of commercial contracts.
- The Functional Service View (FSV) metamodel - the view of
a business process model that specifies the electronic
formation of commercial contracts using an electronic medium.
Roughly, the element decomposition goes like this:
* = a layer
the other line items are hierarchical elements within a layer
* Business Operations Map
* Business Requirements View
Business Collaboration Use Case
* Business Operational View
Business Collaboration Protocol
Commercial Transaction Activity
* Function Service View
Network Component Collaboration
Here is the suggested viewing order:
- Use Case View/Main diagram
- In treeview, select Use Case View/<<BusinessOperationsMap>>.../<<BusinessArea>>.../
Materials Management Use Case Diagram.
The ProcessArea is broken into these BusinessProcesses:
- Negotiate Contract
- Plan Requirements
- Replenish Products (the one that is decomposed further)
- Pay for Products
- In tree view, select
Use Case View/<<BusinessOperationsMap>>.../<<BusinessArea>>.../
Replenish Products Use Case Diagram
- In same section, select Authorize Action Use Case Diagram.
- Select Logical View/<<BusinessOperationalView>>.../
Authorize Action Activity Diagram
- Lower in the same section, select
<<CommercialTransactionActivity>> Authorize Shipment/
<<CommercialTransaction>> Notify of ShipmentAuthorization/
Notify of ShipmentAuthorization Activity Diagram
- Select Logical View/Main Class Diagram
- Select Logical View/<<Functional Service View>>.../
Authorize Shipment/Network Components Class Diagram
- In same section, select Business Actions Class Diagram
- In same section, select Network Component Collaboration Diagram
- Under Authorize Shipment, select ShipmentAuthorization Document
The details of the document should be filled in here.
- In the same section, select AuthorizeShipment(AgentServiceService)